Creating a reproduction oldé worldé aged floor
Have you noticed the current fashion for antique effect finishes on floors? You might think that this type of work is very specialised but in fact it isn't, providing you with a greate opportunity create a fantasitc wooden floor.
For an antique oak effect here's what to do:
- Sand the floor as usual distressing any boards with a ball pein hammer / sharp implement etc., to represent wear. Lightly resand.
- Apply a single coat of Finney's Dark Oak Professional Water Stain and leave to dry.
- Touch sand the boards when dry to expose paler wood in areas that need to look worn.
- Restain with Finney's Dark Pine or Mid Oak Professional Water Stain to give extra richness to the dark oak stain and to replace the colour on the lightly sanded areas.
- When dry apply a single coat of Finney’s Transparent Fixative to seal in the stain. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Seal the floor using Finney’s Extra Tough Floor Varnish or Finney's Extra Tough Waxed Finish.
Expert Advice, Simple Solutions, Beautiful Wood
All of the information offered in this Question and Answer format is given in good faith and no responsibility can be accepted for loss or damage however caused. Always carry out a test before proceeding and if in doubt, contact our free wood finishing Advice Line on 01246 261664 before starting.
Our range of wood finishing products has been developed over many years so that customers can be assured of compatibility and of achieving excellent results. The advice given here refers solely to the specific products mentioned and not to other manufacturers products which although may appear to be similar, invariably are not.